Here at Manthey Consulting…
We help organizations and professionals develop a strengths-based communication and leadership culture. By integrating Motivational Interviewing you can leverage the inner motivations that drive your employees, patients, and clients to follow through to better outcomes.
Trevor Manthey’s Domains of Experience
Trevor Manthey has has worked with individuals and organizations to leverage motivation for change throughout his career. Early on Trevor noted that externally driven change only helped people and organizations change temporarily. Once external drivers were removed previous behaviors returned. It didn’t matter whether the external drivers were positive or negative. Alternatively, interventions that helped people self-determine their goals, and clearly articulate their reasons for achieving those goals, tended to increase the likelihood of lasting change. Change that was internally driven tended to last longer. Facilitating self-determined goals and motivating lasting behavior change are the unifying themes present throughout Trevor’s varied professional experience.
Trevor has worked in many roles, settings, and locations. For the last 15 years he has worked in the social services field helping people with disabilities; this has included helping people achieve educational, employment, and career goals. Along the way Trevor began helping human service organizations develop, implement, and sustain evidence-based interventions meant to increase self-determination. For the last 10 years Trevor has provided Motivational Interviewing training and technical assistance for vocational rehabilitation and other human service agencies. Recently he started helping healthcare agencies, business organizations, and professionals apply Motivational Interviewing to optimize culture and increase follow through.
- Researcher, Trainer, Consultant, Coach, Fidelity Coder
Education, Credentials, Affiliations
- B.S, Psychology; MSW; Ph.D.
- MINT member and trainer since 2008
- Strengths Institute member
- Trevor Manthey was a member of the National TACE Consortium on Motivational Interviewing from 2011-2014, influencing and guiding MI system change throughout the field of VR.
- NCRE President’s Award – MI work with WI’s Department of Vocational Rehabilitation.
Fields & Settings
- Vocational rehabilitation (State wide)
- Skilled at helping vocational rehabilitation agencies develop motivational interviewing skills and has developed unique MI curriculum with examples of how to use MI skills VR contexts including intake, planning, benefits counseling, job coaching, trial work experiences, and others.
- Community mental health agencies
- Inpatient and outpatient social services
- Peer support centers
- Corrections, juvenile justice
- Child Welfare
- Education: college counseling centers, school districts, private schools
- Regional support networks
- State attorney general’s offices
- Parenting support groups.
- Training and technical assistance centers
- Not for profit agencies
- Throughout the USA & internationally.
WA, KS, WI, CO, ID, OR, Canada, and elsewhere.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Strengths-based culture shifts
- Fidelity reviews: MI, ACT, IDDT, SEd,
- Technical assistance
- Curriculum development
- Research design and training
- Assertive Community Treatment teams (ACT)
- Integrated Dual Disorder Treatment teams (IDDT)
- Shared-Decision Making
- Self-Directed Care
- Supported Education
- Supported Employment
- Peer Support